Friday, July 15, 2011

French Toast the Healthy Way


It's obvious from my last post that I love French toast (hey, I rhymed!). I devour it. I dream about it. It is one of my very favorite foods. Coincidentally, it was also the first thing I learned how to cook.

So when I started on The Glycemic Index Diet last May (that helped me to lose 30 pounds in 8 months, thank you Mr. Gallop!) I was thrilled to find a healthy, low cal alternative to my favorite breakfast food.

So in the spirit of Nichole's Office Oatmeal of the Week post, I thought I'd share my adapted recipe for healthy french toast that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy without giving you the physique of a teddy bear.

Ingredients:
  • 6 slices Pepperidge Farm Soft Wheat (45 calories a slice) or 45 Calories and Delightful 100% Multi Grain Bread.
  • 1 cup liquid egg (I like Egg Beaters)
  • 3/4 cup skim milk
  • 2 tsp sugar substitute (my favorite is Splenda)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (or to taste)
Heat a frying pan on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Whisk together the liquid egg, skim milk, sugar substitute, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Dip slice of bread in the mixture, holding down for 2-3 seconds on each side. Cook both sides until golden brown. Repeat.

You can always double or triple the recipe if you have a lot of family staying or if you suddenly find yourself feeding some hungry Pirates players (hey, they're above .500, they deserve a treat.)


The Splenda is 0 cal and the Egg Beaters and milk are very low cal. Combined with the incredibly tasty yet also low cal bread, this makes for an incredibly satisfying breakfast that won't ruin your whole day. I like to serve the French toast with sliced strawberries and sugar free syrup. I'll be honest and say that the egg beaters do not make for as tasty a toast, so sometimes I like to use three real eggs. A bit more calories, but if you want to splurge a little, it's a great way to do so without being unhealthy.

Nutrition Information (without syrup):

Serving size: 2 slices
Calories: 157 calories
Carbohydrates: 26 grams
Fiber: 15 grams
Sugar: 8 grams
Fat: 3 grams
Cholesterol: 4 milligrams
Protein: 22 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment