Monday, July 18, 2011

Why Go Out? The Best Enchiladas You'll Ever Eat

It's no secret that I love Mexican food. One of my favorite parts about living in California is the access I have to so many wonderful Mexican restaurants and products. But I used to live in Pittsburgh. Where Mexican restaurants are few and far between (and I don't just mean geographically. I've eaten some pretty poor excuses for Mexican cuisine).


Even though I am finally somewhere with great Mexican food, I am a cooking homebody at heart. So I still make my mom's famous enchiladas (and they are SO GOOD that I never order enchiladas at Mexican restaurants because they always disappoint).

What you'll need:
  • 1 bag of corn tortillas
  • 2 bags of mexican shredded cheese (or shred your own using cheddar, mozzarella, and jack)
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced onion
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 ½ teaspoons chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup of water
I am so lucky to live somewhere with great tortillas
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan.
For the sauce: Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in the tomato sauce. Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, and cumin (just a tip, if you don't have cumin, don't freak out. It makes little or no difference.) Mix together thoroughly, then add the water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

simmering sauce

While the sauce is simmering: Heat 1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan to soften the tortillas. To soften, dip 1 tortilla in the olive oil, then turn to coat the other side. The tortilla is soft when small bubbles appear and/or the tortillas is floppy (yes, I used floppy in a recipe). When the tortilla is soft, transfer to the pan. Add some of the minced onion and shredded cheese (enough to make a good enchilada without making it impossible to roll). Then roll the tortilla. Repeat until the pan is filled.
After the sauce has simmered for 20 minutes, pour it over the rolled tortillas. Spread a layer of shredded cheese and the parmesan across the top until the sauce is covered.
Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve hot and melty!
Pairing suggestions: light sour cream, guacamole or avocado slices, pico de gallo or your favorite salsa!

finished product!

This is a recipe that can be tweaked and perfected. For example, my mom makes them with shredded chicken and omits the pepper. I add MORE pepper and sometimes some tabasco or tapatillo. It takes practice to roll the enchiladas well (and without burning your hands), but the end product is sure to be a crowd pleaser!

Oh, and thanks, Mom. Original recipe courtesy of the best cook in Pittsburgh :-)

Nutrition Information:
I'm with Nichole.
It's summer.
This is an indulgence.
Even I don't want to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment