Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Ultimate Whole Wheat Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie



Readers, I have something to tell you. You may want to sit down.

Like Unicorns and the Female Orgasm: The Ultimate Whole Wheat Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie is a Real Thing.

I know. I know. You’ve been searching for years. Most of the cookies you’ve tried are more like hard, crumbly, chocolate chip dog biscuits than the nostalgic treats you loved as a child. Your Vegan Cookie Dreams have been crushed. You’re skeptical. But don't despair!

The secret to these cookies is the use of White Whole Wheat Flour, which is milled from hard white spring wheat instead of red wheat. Its nutritional profile is almost identical to that of regular whole wheat flour, except it is tad lower in gluten and protein.

Get ready to experience the magic. I just baked these cookies half an hour ago, but I could not wait another second to tell you about them. They are perfect, flavorful, chewy, plump and delicious. My bacon-loving boyfriend adores them. We will probably eat the whole batch today!

Here you go friends! Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe is nearly as simple as they come, and my success came from following these steps exactly. However, I believe in trusting your baking instincts. If something about your dough doesn’t feel right (it’s too stiff, it doesn’t look like chocolate chip cookie dough) then the dough probably isn’t right.  If the dough is too hard, add a little more applesauce. If the dough is too moist (unlikely), add a little bit of flour. Do not use an electric mixer, because it will make the dough too stiff. Do not cook at a temperature higher than 300 °F, because it will prevent the cookies from turning out chewy. BTW - These cookies are full of Omega-3s, dietary fiber, protein, whole grains, and lignans. Yield: 20 decent sized cookies. 


Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Flaxseed Meal (I always use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal)
3 Tablespoons Water
1 1/4 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour (Both King Arthur and Gold Medal are fairly good)
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup All-Natural Cane Sugar
1/2 Cup Vegan Butter (Earth Balance is premo and widely available) 
1 Tablespoon Applesauce
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Chocolate Chips (Vegan Version: Tropical Source Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, Vegetarian Version: NestlĂ©’s Mini Morsels)

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F

2. Mix the Flaxseed Meal and the Water in a small bowl, set aside.

3. Sift the Flour, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, and Salt into a medium bowl.

4. In a large bowl, mix Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, Butter, Applesauce, Vanilla and Flaxseed Mixture. Do not beat.

5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.

6. Fold in the chocolate chips

7. Drop dough onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper by the spoonful, leaving ample space between each cookie.

8. Place in the oven, and cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven when the edges of the cookies begin to brown. Allow to cool. Eat!



1 comment:

  1. Hey there! You work with my Mom (Pat Karausky) and she introduced me to your blog a bit back. My name is Sara, I'm her vegetarian daughter who lives on the beach. My son just started Kindergarten this year and there is a big bake sale I volunteered to participate in on October 1st. October first is also World Vegetarian Day to kick off Vegetarian Awareness month (October)! I will have my own little special spot at the bake sale with a variety of Vegan/Vegetarian baked goods made by me, so siked about this! I wanted to tell you that I did a "test" batch of your chocolate chip cookies above, to see if they were something I would want to offer. Let me just tell you, OMG DELISH!!! They are so chocolately and chewy and perfect! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and they will definitely be making an appearance at the school bake sale to celebrate World Vegetarian Day! ~Sara

    ReplyDelete