Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Finishing Strong: Vegetarian December

Posted by Nichole Leigh
Recipe and Image Courtesy of Hersheys.com. Original recipe here.


I have a strong desire to make December 2011 count. It's been about six months since I graduated college, and I really want to accomplish something. Not something huge, but something that is meaningful to me. So here are a couple of Veggie Horizons goals for December:

Goal 1: Post to Veggie Horizons every day in the month of December

Goal 2: Experiment with different food photography techniques and learn to take better pictures of the food in Veggie Horizons recipes

Goal 3: Post enough holiday-inspired vegetarian recipes to comprise a vegetarian Christmas, Hanukkah, New Years (etc.) Feast

If you have any advice or recipes you'd like to share with me to help me on my way, I would greatly appreciate it! For now, let's just drool over the candy cane blossom recipe from Hersheys.com. It's not vegan, but it sure looks festive, doesn't it?

Ingredients
48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Candy Cane Mint Candies
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk Red or green sugar crystals, granulated sugar or powdered sugar

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Remove wrappers from candies.
2. Beat butter, granulated sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in red sugar, granulated sugar, powdered sugar or a combination of any of the sugars. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookie is set. Remove from oven; cool 2 to 3 minutes. Press a candy piece into center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4 dozen cookies.

PS. I'll update this post with more pictures when I try out this recipe for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment