Sunday, January 29, 2012

Beating the Winter Blues with Bright, Happy Food

Posted by Nichole Leigh

Dear Readers, the life of a part-time food blogger is a challenging thing. I have been missing my camera charger for about a month. Without photographs, I didn't feel right posting recipes. If the food doesn't look good enough to try, even the best recipe will fail to inspire! Never fear, however. We can breathe a collective sigh of relief, because it's all over now. J's mom was kind enough to mail my camera charger back to me, and now I am ready for foodie business!


January is basically over! I find that hard to believe. I've been bracing for endless cold and snow storms, but it just hasn't happened. In fact, Pittsburgh has actually witnessed whole days of sunshine in December and January. For those of you unfamiliar with the region, that is a freaking miracle.

A miracle that has me ready to start living, breathing, and eating like it's spring. I'm tired of comfort food. Comfort food is best when warm, cozy meals are necessary to ward off dark, dreary days. But the days are getting longer and I'm dying for a bright flavor pallet. It may be too early to look for artichokes, fennel, and strawberries....... but it's summer in Chile! Which means citrus fruit! Hallelujah!

So, with a caveat, here are a few recipes I have planned for Veggie Horizons. Don't be alarmed if you see a lot of lime, fresh ginger, and coconut. My tangy urges are getting the better of me.

A Black Bean Burger Good Enough to Marry
Crunchy Asian Coleslaw
Easy Garlicky Brussels Sprouts
Tangy Root Vegetables
The Vegan Samoa - Revisited
Almond Sunshine Drops
Toasted Coconut Fudge Cupcakes
Chocolate Mousse (Vegan!)
Homemade Sparkling Lime Soda

No comments:

Post a Comment