Monday, July 25, 2011

Fast Snack of the Week: Pita Chips

Happy Monday everyone!

I'll admit it: I'm a lazy snacker. Sure, I want to be healthy and feel fulfilled without feeling overfilled when I snack. But I'm not one of those people that whips up fancy homemade snacks. I like to grab something from the refrigerator or pantry and go. But often a Luna bar or Fiber One bar just doesn't sound appealing and the thought of yet another pretzel makes me want to gag.

This past year, I discovered my new favorite snack: Stacy's Pita Chips. My mom and I bought them on a whim to try with dips and guacamole. And was it ever the best impulse purchase!


Apparently there is a real Stacy, but the company is currently owned by FritoLay. Stacy's pita chips come in multiple flavors, including multigrain, parmesan garlic and herb, and cinnamon sugar. My favorite are the Simply Naked chips, garnished with nothing but sea salt.

So why do I love Stacy's pita chips more than other brands? Well, besides being completely delicious, they also contain 0 trans fat and 0 cholesterol. They are also certified by the FDA as all natural, meaning they don't contain any artificial or synthetic ingredients. So what do Stacy's Simply Naked pita chips contain?

Ingredients: Enriched wheat flour, sunflower oil, canola oil, sea salt, whole wheat flour, organic cane sugar, oat fiber, active yeast, compressed yeast, inactive yeast, and malted barley flour.

No synthetic ingredients. Just delicious pitas baked twice for a crunchy, delicious snack. And 10 chips contain just 130 calories.


While Simply Naked chips are great straight from the bag, they are much better paired with other simple, delicious, and healthy snacks. My personal favorite pairing is Simply Naked chips with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (35 calories a wedge) in either French Onion, Garlic and Herb, or Mozarella, Sundried Tomato, Basil. I usually add a sliced apple for a satisfying lunch.


For a more substantial snack (not to mention great party food), pair Simply Naked chips with guacamole or hummus (Trader Joe's makes an amazing spicy guacamole if you don't want to make it yourself! And their hummus is amazing, too).

To make Stacy's a meal, try making a plate of delicious yet healthy nachos. Layer pita chips on a cookie sheet. Add chopped onion, jalapenos, and shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, then garnish with light sour cream, avocado slices, and salsa.

Stacy's pita chips are a simple, basic, high quality snack perfect for lazy snackers like me. In Pittsburgh, find them in Giant Eagle or Target. In California, in Albertson's, Ralph's, and Target. (In the chip aisle in Target but often in the deli section of grocery stores).

No comments:

Post a Comment