Saturday, July 30, 2011

How to Survive a Move and Still Eat Well


So sorry we've been so remiss this week! I have an excellent excuse. I am moving apartments. For anyone who has ever moved, you know how much fun THAT is. So I have been busy and not as attentive to the blog as I should be.
But all of the packing and errands and calls to make got me thinking. It's really difficult to eat well while you are going through something like a move or other high stress, time consuming activity.

While I would much rather cook my own food, sometimes it's just not realistic. Thank goodness we live in a world where fast vegetarian meals are just as accessible as meat ones.

With quickness and tastiness in mind, here are a few of my favorite moving survival foods:

  • Vegetarian Corn Dogs

Found in the frozen section, these tasty and low cal imitations of the American fair favorites are amazing with mustard and a beer. They'll remind you of summers past (without the mystery meat part, of course).
Favorite Brands: MorningStar and Trader Joe's

  • Veggie Burgers
A vegetarian's staple. They are easy to microwave and assemble. I assemble mine on low cal, flat wheat buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado. Add ketchup or some balsamic vinaigrette for a delicious meal in under ten minutes.
Favorite Brands: Boca and MorningStar

  • Pasta

Possibly the easiest meal to make that is completely satisfying and takes less than twenty minutes. I like to make my own sauce, but in a moving situation, that is pretty impossible. So I buy sauce and make it my own! Cut up some onion and saute in a saucepan with olive oil and garlic salt for 2-3 minutes. Then add sauce and let simmer until it is hot. Mix in with pasta (I love whole wheat rigatoni for a healthy, flavorful option) and some fresh parmesan and enjoy! Serve with red wine and a salad if you really want to feel decadent.
Favorite Brands: Prego, store brand sauce

  • Grilled Cheese


Okay, cliche, I know. But grilled cheese has become incredibly trendy. And yet it's still just as easy to make and provides simple clean-up. My favorite? Wheat bread, "buttered" with vegan substitute butter or Smart Balance. Heat a frying pan and set one slice butter face down. Layer on your favorite, easily melted cheese (I like a mix of gruyere and cheddar), add the other slice of bread, and brown until melty and delicious! I love to add tomatoes for an extra crunch.
Favorite brands: Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful Wheat bread, Trader Joe's cheese




No comments:

Post a Comment