Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bell'Amazing

I recently started a new job in the Clairemont area of San Diego. The best part? Discovering the restaurants in the area!

Earlier this week, I stumbled across (via my smartphone) the Bell'Agio Ristorante and Bakery. Located in a small strip mall, the Bell'Agio seems unassuming and not at all what it is: a beautifully decorated, wonderful establishment with great wine and food.

Photo Courtesy of Bell'Agio

The restaurant has gone through several owner/operator changes, one recently, so I can't attest to what the food was like before. Currently, Executive Chef Pablo Rios and Chef Ramiro Sanchez have a "deconstruction" approach to food. Meaning that, when we ordered bruschetta, each ingredient was brought to our table in separate dishes. The crostini was separate from the tomatoes, basil and garlic pesto spread, and mozzarella cheese. The deconstruction food movement is fairly new and trendy, which means I usually steer clear. But Bell'Agio did an amazing job!

What we ordered:

  • Bruschetta
  • Eggplant & Sweet Vidalia Onion Bruscetta
  • Margherita pizza
  • Pansotti Alla Bisanzio House Specialty
  • 5 desserts. No kidding. Read on.
So the bruschettas were incredible. The deconstruction method of presentation made the food not at all greasy and perfectly proportioned, since I had control over the food. I am not a big fan off eggplant, but I absolutely LOVED the eggplant bruschetta. The margherita pizza was good, though I have had better. I particularly enjoyed the sauce and the freshness of the basil. The Pansotti Alla Bisanzio was particularly special. It's described on the menu as "baked pillow pasta stuffed with spinach ricotta topped with melted mozzarella cheese, traditional marinara, and fresh basil." When it is delivered, it is actually just two "pillows." Definitely not large portions. But the quality was incredible and the pasta and filling was unlike anything I had ever tasted.

Photo Courtesy of Bell'Agio

Of course, after splitting these small portions between two people, we wanted dessert. And two just weren't enough. SO...we kept ordering and ended up sampling the entire dessert menu, which consists of:

  • Bananas Foster Creme Brule
  • Tiramisu
  • Cheesecake
  • Chocolate Lava Cake
  • Sorbet Martini
My favorites were the creme brule and the cheesecake. The bananas foster creme brule was made with flambeed bananas, a completely new experience that I really enjoyed. And the cheesecake was really special, a kind of citrus taste with a raspberry glaze and a great crust.


My only complaint is the amount of meat dishes versus veggie. It wasn't terrible, but definitely not a completely veggie friendly restaurant. I definitely recommend Bell'Agio! The food was incredible and the staff was great! (Our server, Luke, was wonderful!)


No comments:

Post a Comment