Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Maine is for Maniacs: Lobster, Blueberries, and the Ocean

Hello Readers! I know you’ve just been dying to hear me spout off some plant-based musings, but I’ve spent the last week journeying about in a blog-less tundra, bereft of both cell phone towers and high speed internet connections. Yes, I was braving the wilderness of the Maine coastline. (And by wilderness, I mean the 130 year old hotel that charged for internet service– Who does that?)

Anyway, J- and I were swept up in his sister’s fabulous wedding ceremony on the southern Maine coast, and spent more than a couple of days ravaging the local cuisine. And while the steady hum of the turquoise waves was distracting, fret not, because I was thinking of Veggie Horizons the entire time, and have some delights to share.

I learned two things in the stunning down of Ogunquit, Maine:
1.) There is seafood everywhere, and
2.) The short growing season produces one fantastic crop of fresh blueberries.

I have to admit that I loved eating all of the Maine seafood. even though my relationship with ocean animals is a bit complicated. Generally, I don’t eat them. Fish and shellfish are smart, have personalities, form complicated social structures, feel pain, fear and lots of other things.  Additionally, harvesting fish and shellfish often causes serious environmental devastation, which is increasing in scale every year.


However, citing my pledge to eat in a way that is also kind to humans, I ate some seafood. And it was good. Even great! Specifically, I ate lots of clam and lobster. The restaurants that served these delicacies were able to verify the local, ethical sourcing, thus leaving me to face the emotional consequences of eating the little lobster and clam bodies without worrying so much about the environmental impact.

On a more guiltless note, Maine is known for wild, fresh blueberries, which appeared on Ogunquit’s menus in the form of ice cream, pastries, cocktails, sauces, and just about everything else (including the wedding cake).


In bustling center of the seaside town, The Wild Blueberry Café and Bistro pays homage to the blueberry with a full menu featuring blueberry dishes, crepes, lobster rolls, and elegant, blueberry-themed décor. The place exudes coastal charm, is replete with friendly staff, and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They even have their own special blend of coffee from a Portland micro roaster, Coffee by Design, to complement all of their meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment