Thursday, August 4, 2011

Maniacs Love Pizza


Though I’m sure there are many worthy establishments in Ogunquit, Maine deserving of a spot on Veggie Horizons, there was one restaurant that I simply must share: La Pizzeria 

I know. A pizza joint? With all the lobster and other exotic (for Yinzers) fare, I’m going to write about a place with a name as uninspiring as La Pizzeria? Yes. I am. Because it was amazing.

One look at their menu (and the intimidating ladies gracing its cover) will tell you that this place is legit. The owner, at least according to a thorough interview conducted by my boyfriend’s mother, hails from Naples and really makes Neoplitan Style Pizza! The pies are not Americanized, watered-down versions of pizza. They are the real deal.

The ambiance of the summer evening was lovely. Our group of five (a mix of vegetarians and omnivores) enjoyed a fantastic meal on the restaurant’s front deck. The outdoor dining spot came replete with mood lighting and a charming view of the quaint shops and bustling tourist traffic of Ogunquit’s Main Street.

The table ordered Gennaro’s Pesto Chicken Pizza, the Prosciutto and Fresh Basil pie, the classic Margherita Pizza, and the White Clam Pizza.

All guests, veg heads and meat eaters alike, loved the food. From personal experience, I can attest to the fact that both the Margherita and the White Clam Pizza left absolutely nothing to desire. They were perfect. The dough was fresh and the sauce was fabulous. Unlike many American joints, La Pizzeria did not go overboard with either garlic or toppings, allowing the ingredients to both remain distinct, and blend together harmoniously.
I know that I haven’t yet discovered a place in the Burgh that can compete with La Pizzeria, and I’m already missing it. If I was going again I would definitely try the Vegetarian Pizza. Oh yeah, and they offer a gluten free pizza! Gotta love Maine!

No comments:

Post a Comment