Saturday, August 20, 2011

Weekend Cooking Blitz


Hi readers!

So sorry we have been neglecting the poor blog. I am working longer hours than I am used to and attempting, slowly but surely, to furnish and decorate my perfect little apartment. This includes the kitchen, which is not quite as well stocked as I would like (I'm using my large pot for everything from you know, cooking, and as a replacement for a large bowl).

I used said pot today to, FINALLY, make Nichole's English muffins!


It was my first attempt, so some of them were too raw and I had to cook the others longer. But I am SO excited to have them with peanut butter and jelly or honey! I am also planning to make english muffin pizzas with them this week, using homemade marinara sauce I made last weekend in the crock pot.

I was in such a cooking mood that I also decided to do something with that leftover spinach I had sitting in my fridge. I found this recipe for "Grown Up Mac and Cheese" on Vegetarian Times.com and it seemed like the perfect, healthy, way to use up that spinach!

The recipe is incredibly easy. But it was also satisfying because I felt like I did have to put SOME work into it! You definitely have to be careful not to burn the milk when you are whisking it with the olive oil and flour. But you'll be amazed at the perfect mixture it makes for the parmesan cheese. I really like cheesy dishes, but I decided to stay on the healthy side and actually follow the 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp suggestion. And mmmmm! A delicious AND fairly low-cholesterol mac and cheese.

I also added about 1/4 cup of chopped red onion. Because, let's face it: what entree isn't better with a little onion?




The recipe:

  • 2 cups whole wheat penne
  • 1 lb spinach leaves, trimmed
  • 1/4 olive oil
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbs grated parmesan (I freshly grated mine because it's just always better that way)
  • 2 cloves minced garlic (I used 2 tsp minced garlic)
  • optional: 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (I didn't have any in the apartment, so I forwent this step)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 11- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Cook penne according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.

Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted, stirring with tongs to cook all leaves. Drain, and press out any excess liquid. Coarsely chop wilted spinach, and set aside.

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, then add penne, spinach, 1/2 cup Parmesan, garlic, and nutmeg, if using, to sauce, and stir until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to prepared baking dish, sprinkle remaining 2 Tbs. Parmesan over mixture, and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until top is browned.

Nutritional Info (Per 1 1/2 cups):

Calories: 318

Protein: 13g

Fat: 13g

Saturated fat: 3g

Carbohydrates: 39g

Cholesterol: 9mg

Sodium: 212mg

Fiber: 5g

Sugar: 6g

I have another new meal to try tomorrow. Stay tuned! (Hint--it includes ricotta cheese. YUM!)


No comments:

Post a Comment