Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do I Have to Call Myself a Pescetarian?

Hi all!

So tonight is a very good night. I have a new, wonderful job, a new, fabulous dog, and Glee premiers tonight. Okay, nerdy. But I love me some Glee!

I wanted to make a yummy, yet healthy, and simple meal. When I was at the grocery store today, I realized I have been hankering for a good tuna salad sandwich.

My new boss has informed me that, because I am a vegetarian who eats fish, I am actually a pescetarian. Which I think sounds too funny to be a serious lifestyle choice. So I think I'll continue to say that I am a vegetarian that eats fish.

But, back to my dinner. I wanted a tuna melt, but I REALLY didn't want something complicated or uber fattening. After a quick Google search (how did we live without the Internet?) I found this recipe on Good Housekeeping's website:

Healthy Tuna Salad
  • 2 can(s) (5 ounces each) chunk light tuna in water, drained
  • 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, shredded, about 1/2 cup
  • 1/2 medium (4- to 6-ounce) red pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup(s) light mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoon(s) nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
  • Pepper


  • Even this was a bit too much for me. I like a basic tuna salad. So I nixed the red pepper and carrots and added some chopped onion. And...WOW! Even better than the high in saturated fat and calories tuna salad you get at restaurants. The lemon juice really adds a lot of flavor and the yogurt gives it a delicious freshness. I used Lucerne non-fat plain yogurt and it was lovely.

    But I didn't just want tuna salad. I wanted a full on, delicious, steamy tuna melt. So I used a 100 calorie whole wheat, flat bun and a slice of lucerne pepper jack cheese. I left the sandwich open-faced and baked it on 350 for 5-7 minutes (until the cheese slice was melted). Then I added some tomato and paired it with a Peroni. Can you say...YUM!

    So if you're a fish eater, I definitely recommend this recipe. It's fast, easy, and super delicious after a long day of playing at the dog park!


    Bounder thinks socializing is exhausting.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment