Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ode to Oggi's


I love California. Great Mexican food, palm trees, ocean, fabulous weather. But I love pizza. And I'm from the East Coast. If you've ever been to California, you know that the Golden State is NOT known for good pizza.

In fact, California pizza is almost always disappointing. I go in with high expectations and am consistently let down. So I have made it my mission to find fabulous pizza on the west coast.



And about a month ago, I found my current favorite pizza place, Oggi's Pizza and Brewing Company.

Oggi's (pronounced O-gee's) is a chain of pizza places in San Diego and Arizona. My favorite location is in Encinitas on Encinitas Blvd.

What I love about Oggi's:
  • The crust--I've tried both regular and thin and the crust is well made, not salty, and tasted like the East Coast pizza I dream about.
  • The sauce--Tomato sauce or garlic and olive oil. Either way, you can't go wrong. Well spiced and proportioned correctly.
  • The options--Oggi's offers a multitude of toppings and, most importantly, cheeses.
What I order: Regular crust, no mozarella, gouda, green peppers, red onions, and fresh basil. I can't get sick of this pizza.

Recently, I tried the thin crust with garlic and olive oil sauce, parmesan and mozarella, basil, tomatoes, and green peppers. Totally delicious, especially when dipped in my homemade marinara.

photo courtesy discoversd.com

Oggi's is also a brewery, which makes it top on my list. Amazing beers always served in frosty glasses makes for a great experience. I love the Sunset Amber but have enjoyed the Light Lager as well.

The quest will continue--There is a New York style pizza place down the street from my apartment I plan to brave soon!

PS-- Meet the new member of my family, Bounder :-) (He's clearly a Steelers fan!)



No comments:

Post a Comment