Friday, September 23, 2011

Never Will I Ever Buy Bread Again


Nichole has been so sweet to feature some recipes inspired by my cooking. And let me just say that the best food that I make comes from her recipes (and of course, yours too, Mom).

One area where Nichole has cornered the market is bread. This girl can bake breads like no one I know. In fact, she brought be half a loaf of her flaxseed bread once that I proceeded to eat. All in one night. It was gross, but I couldn't stop myself. (But I don't recommend it. Bread has yeast in it, you know?)

photo courtesy thefatlossauthority.com

The other day, I ran out of bread. And since my adorable but slightly maladjusted dog can't be left alone yet, I found myself sort of trapped. Until I remembered that I had just stocked up on flour and yeast. Lucky!

So I trolled Veggie Horizons and found Nichole's recipe for easy, can't-mess-it-up bread. And oh. My. God. So good. So very good. And EASY! Why doesn't everyone make their own bread?

Probably because many of us (myself included) can be lazy, and while the recipe is simple, it does require two rises, meaning time. So you have to plan ahead!


But this bread is worth every minute of the rising and proofing stages. I made hummus sandwiches as well as tuna salad sandwiches. I actually cut the recipe in half as well, so that I was only making one loaf instead of two. I vow to never (well, almost never) buy bread again!

As I've mentioned, Nichole's English muffins are an obsession. I make them every weekend.


And I've written about the vegetarian times cinnamon rolls before. Well, last time I made them without baking powder because I was out, and I also didn't roll them to the correct thinness. Well, I was much more careful this time. And...voila!

They were so delicious. And it's great that they are pretty low cal! The glaze is totally amazing as well. The lemon adds a tangy freshness. I like to add about a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract as well for extra flavor.

I used to love those Pillsbury ones, but they are REALLY unhealthy and no where near as tasty. These cinnamon rolls are simple and have a denser, dare I say bread-ier taste. Worth the extra ten minutes they take compared to the Pillsbury rolls!


So the moral of this Friday story is: never buy bread products. Make your own. They are much tastier and healthier, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment