Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rainbow Stir Fry


I've decided that (yet another) a tribute to my dear co-author is in order.

The first meal that Carrie ever cooked for me was a delicious vegan stir fry. This may be hard to believe, but I had actually never cooked or eaten a stir fry before Carrie placed it under my nose. I used my wok exclusively for deep frying. But Carrie changed all that with her delicious and generous meal!

So, in honor of my Veggie Horizons partner, I present my recipe for a particularly colorful and simple stir fry.

Rainbow Stir Fry
I threw this dish together following a farmers' market trip, during which I purchased red, orange, and yellow bell peppers. Sitting together, they suggested a rainbow, so I searched my fridge for other colorful ingredients. In the end, I managed to pull together a veggieful stir fry with items representing nearly every color of the rainbow! Tofu adds protein, and the lightly cooked vegetables are filling and delicious.

Ingredients:

  • 1-2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic-Ginger Paste
  • 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
  • 8 Oz. Button Mushrooms, Chopped
  • 1/2 Cup Radishes, Diced
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 1 Orange Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 3/4 Cup Green Onion, Chopped
  • 16 oz (1 Package) of Firm Tofu, Cubed
  • 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
  • 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice 
  • 1 Teaspoon Rice Vinegar
  • Salt and Pepper
Directions:
1. Press the tofu to extract some of the water.
2. Heat the olive oil on medium in a wok or very large sauce pan.
3. Add the garlic-ginger paste, onion, mushrooms and radishes. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
4. Add the peppers, green onions, and tofu. Cook for another 10-12 minutes.
5. Add the soy sauce, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes to incorporate all of the flavors.
6. Serve over rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment