Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Best Vegan Cupcakes - Experimenting with Vegan Baking

Nichole inspired me to start baking again. And that can only mean one thing: vegan baking! I have always loved to bake, but Nichole inspired me to learn a new, cruelty free way of baking. Ever since, I have been attempting to learn and experiment with classic vegan baking.

Of course, my favorite vegan baking cookbook is the previously mentioned Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. The first recipe I made was the Brooklyn Brownie Cupcakes, which includes delicious ingredients like bourbon and soy yogurt. Um, yum.

Last night, I decided to go a bit more classic, but with a twist. I made the basic chocolate cupcakes that Nichole shared with us earlier, but made the frosting with a bit of a twist.


For half of the cupcakes, I made peanut butter frosting and topped them with chopped Reese's cups. For the frosting:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
2 tbsp peanut butter

Directions:

Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
Add the vanilla, peanut butter, and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.

For the other half of the cupcakes, I made strawberry frosting and topped them with pink sprinkles:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
2 tbsp strawberry preserves

Directions:

Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
Add the vanilla, strawberry preserves, and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.

I think I have created some vegan baked goods lovers at work!

1 comment: