Monday, October 24, 2011

Moooo-tacular Dairy - The Glory of Lucerne and Organics

I have never tried to go vegan. I know that Nichole was for a while, and I have a few other friends who have attempted the noble lifestyle. Unfortunately, I could never in a million years pull it off. I am just too much of a dairy consumer. Milk and cheese are staples in my diet.

But I never want to consume dairy products made with growth hormones. There is something slightly seedy about the milk and cheeses on our shelves, the ones that aren't organic. The population growth and limited resources have led to dairy products laced with rBGH and IGF-1. Thankfully, organic products have come onto the scene and are more readily available than ever.

OurBrands_T11020203_Lucerne_LogoItemCollage_ALL_200832.jpg'

Of course, organic is often synonymous with expensive. They don't call it Whole Paycheck Foods for nothing. But Safeway brand has come to the rescue with Lucerne brand and O Organics dairy products.

OurBrands_T11020208_OOrganics_Collage_ALL_200832.jpg

Lucerne and O Organics are generic brands carried in Safeway stores, including the Vons near my apartment. Both brands produce organic products, which I find especially important in dairy products. And...they're reasonably priced!

Lucerne_Light_Sour_Cream.jpgoriginal.jpg

The O milk is usually at least 30 cents cheaper than Horizon. The Lucerne cheese is actually cheaper than Sargento and other brand names. I feel good about what I'm eating and my wallet doesn't suffer.
f.jpeg
For me, quality ingredients are everything. Our country has allowed some pretty heinous things to taint our food, and some pretty inhumane things to happen to the animals that provide the food. I think that the generic organic brands are a huge step in the right direction. It makes eating smart affordable and simple. Why not choose the organic product when it's best for your body and your bank account?

No comments:

Post a Comment